Friday, January 14, 2005

Malcolm Gladwell, Paul Nixon and Apple's Tipping Point: Macs for the Masses

I love it when ideas seem to flow together from a variety of directions. Here is just such a confluence.

I love the work of Malcolm Gladwell. His The Tipping Point gave me a whole new language and set of theoretical constructs for understanding the practical implications of making connections. I just ordered on line his new book Blink which I will react to in this Blog a few weeks hence. It deals with seemingly "snap" decisions that appear to be made in the blink of an eye. I can't wait to read it!

Using the concept of "Tipping Point" that Gladwell popularized, Paul Nixon, "a Web designer at the University of Arizona, created an infographic that illustrates what many have been saying all week since the release of Apple's new lower-cost PC and MP3 player products at MacWorld, which is that Apple finally has got a shot at the mass market." (quotation is from the Blog "Between The Lines")

Below is the Link to Nixon's infographic:

Apple's Tipping Point: Macs for the Masses

I just got off the phone with my son, Tim, who is currently working and living in Poland. Having heard of the launch of the new iPod Shuffle, Tim had been thinking about the very fact that Apple's growing market share in the MPS player world will have a spin-off effect for its market share in the PC world.

Interesting times we live in!

Al

No comments: