Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Follow-up to review of "The Mission, the Men, and Me"


A few days ago, I received word of a comment that had been appended to the Blog posting I recently published on Pete Blaber's new book, "The Mission, the Men, and Me."

I find that comment to be so timely and significant, I want to be sure that every reader of The White Rhino Report is aware of what is being said on the front lines. So, I am reproducing the comment below:


Anonymous said...

Al,


This book is more timely today than ever; we just had a commander using the predator to check for uniform violations of his men who were patrolling in the mountains outside Khowst. Pete Blaber's book should be stamped 'need to share' for all current leaders in the fight. No decision should ever get made by a leader over the radio or predator without first asking the question 'what's your recommendation?' to the guy on the ground.


Thanks for recommending it; everyone on my team reads your blog in Afghanistan.

Rich

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rich
Did anyone report the commander? Seems like misuse of taxpayer money. I read Pete Blaber's book and although I've never served in the military, I can tell you lot's of analogs from the corporate world. Organizations waste so much time and resources checking up on guys on the front lines, when they should be spending that time listening to them. It's a great lesson for all leaders, the good ideas are right there in front of us, all we have to do is listen, and as Pete Blaber says, do a reality check by asking 'what's your recommendation?'