Monday, June 22, 2009

The Color Purple - Limited Time in Boston




From my first viewing of the film version, "The Color Purple," has held me in its thrall. I saw the movie multiple times in the theater, and many more times when the DVD was released. I read and devoured Alice Walker's novel. "The Color Purple's" life-long hold on me was cemented when I spent a day with Oprah Winfrey working together on a Habit for Humanity project in Chicago's West Side. I was able to regale her by reciting many of the lines spoken by her character, Sophia. I can still do a pretty good version of: "I don't know none of y'all no more"!

When Oprah Winfrey helped to produce a Broadway musical version of the timeless tale, I went to see it on several occasions. So, I was delighted when I learned that the national touring company would be making a stop in Boston at the Wang Theater. I was even more delighted to learn that my oldest son, Ti, would be home from Romania and would be able to accompany me on Fathers' Day to see a performance.

Our visit to the theater last night was a triple treat. We saw a terrific performance of a fabulous show. I got to spend the entire Fathers' Day with my first-born. And the piece de resistance: Ti and I sat next to a fascinating and accomplished actress, Miquel Brown, who is in town shooting a film. We learned that Ms. Brown was in the film, "Little Shop of Horrors," (The Rick Moranis version). I was pleased to learn this fact, since a number of years ago I played the role of Mr. Mushnik, the own of the shop, in a stage version of "Little Shop."

The national touring company includes many of the same actors who played their roles on Broadway, including the amazing Kenita R. Miller in the role of Celie. On several occasions. our new friend, Ms. Brown, and most of the rest of the audience, was moved to tears by the story and the remarkable acting by a terrific ensemble.

If you are in Boston, you have only this week to catch a show that should not be missed.


Boston Globe Review

Enjoy!

Al

No comments: