Monday, April 22, 2013

Time To Keep Living - A Life Lesson From Pippin's Grandmother - Some Birthday Reflections

If you have been reading any of my Blog posts in the past few months, you will be aware that the Broadway hit, Pippin, has become one of my favorite shows of all time.  I can't stop thinking about it, talking about it, and even singing about it.

Today is the 40th anniversary of my 26th birthday!  Why do I choose to express it in that manner?  Well, a few days ago I was a having a conversation with a young friend.  Somehow the subject of my age came up, and my friend said: "Yes, but you live life as if you are 26, so your chronological age is insignificant!"  I love that thought, and have taken it to heart.

In the first act of Pippin, the young prince's grandmother is philosophizing with him about their very different perceptions of time.  The grandmother, Berthe, mother to Charlemagne, launches into the iconic song "No Time At All" with lyrics and music by the brilliant Stephen Schwartz.  I can only use these lyrics with precision once in my life, so I am pleased to share them as some of my thoughts for today:

Oh, it's time to start livin'
Time to take a little from this world we're given
Time to take time, cause spring will turn to fall
In just no time at all....


Here is a secret I never have told
Maybe you'll understand why
I believe if I refuse to grow old
I can stay young till I die
Now, I've known the fears of sixty-six years
I've had troubles and tears by the score
But the only thing I'd trade them for
Is sixty-seven more....


Oh, it's time to keep livin'
Time to keep takin' from this world we're given
You are my time, so I'll throw off my shawl
And watching your flings be flung all over
Makes me feel young all over

In just no time at all....

Thank you to family and friends for making life such a joyous adventure, and for sharing it with me in so many meaningful ways.

God bless.

Al



1 comment:

Tapfrog said...

Have the most joyous birthday, Al!

Nancy Grossman,(only a few years behind you)