Monday, November 11, 2013

A Quick Veterans' Day Salute - The Snook Family Represent For Me All Who Serve and Have Swerved

Kyle Snook and Sean Snook in Afghanistan

My mind and heart are full  of many thoughts on this Veterans' Day.

I think of my father, Lewis Furlong Chase, who served in WWII in India and Burma.

I think of my brother, David Lesley Chase, who spent an entire career in the Navy as a Cryptologic Technician (CT), retiring as a Senior Chief.

I think of the many men and women I have come to know through my association with West Point, Annapolis, the Air Force Academy, the Service Academy Business Network of Boston, The XO Club of Greater Boston, The Harvard Business School Armed Forces Alumni Association, Veterans on Wall Street, et al. 

And then there is the Snook family.  Let me share something that Kyle Snook posted on his Facebook page earlier today:

"I am always immensely humbled by our nations gratitude on Veterans Day. My service perils in comparison to those who served to make this country free and those that currently serve to ensure it stays free. With a heavy heart I thank those that gave the ultimate sacrifice in serving, never forgotten, always remembered. It is with great pride that I have the privilege of celebrating this day with my freedom fighting family and I thank them for their more than 100 years of combined service to this nation. Thank you grandpa, bob-bob, mom, dad, sean, megan, kyra, robby, and andrew."

Wow!  100 years of combined service to this nation - spread out over three generations.  They deserve our gratitude and respect.  For me they stand as a reminder to appreciate all those who serve and have served.

So, on this Veterans' Day 2013 - 95 years after the Armistice that ended World War I was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month - thank those you know who have served.  And pray for those who continue to serve.

God bless.

Al

No comments: