Friday, November 08, 2013

Big Papi For Mayor of Boston - I Called It First!

David Ortiz and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino


NBC Sports announced today that David Ortiz - Red Sox Nation's beloved Big Papi - had received 560 write-in votes in Tuesday mayoral election in Boston.  He was, therefore, the third place vote-getter, despite not appearing on the ballot.

I do not like to brag, but I need to let readers of The White Rhino Report know that I was way ahead of the curve on this one.

I refer you to a Blog piece I posted in 2006.  I quote this excerpt from that post:

"And then the Red Sox line-up was announced. Each player’s name was met with enthusiastic applause and cheers up and down the line-up, with special approbation and affection signaled for Big Papi, who could run for mayor of this town, and as I have said in the past, speaks English far more cogently and eloquently than does the incumbent, Tom 'Mumbles' Menino."

White Rhino Report - Classic In The Fens

I first uttered those sentiments to Papi himself when I was a guest - the only non-Dominican guest- at a special luncheon that Papi was hosting in honor of his friend and mine, Davey Valdez.  The Red Sox had recently won the World Series in 2004, and Papi was riding high.  My comments to him were along the lines of:

"Papi, I am not sure that you know just how beloved you have become in this town.  Why, you could run for mayor.  And, as a matter of fact, you already speak English better than our current mayor."

He laughed heartily and gave me a classic Big Papi hug, like the one he is giving Mayor Menino in the picture above.

I vote that Papi stay right where he is, anchoring the DH role for the 2014 Red Sox and serving as unofficial Goodwill Ambassador to the world for the Red Sox and for Boston.

This is his Bleeping City.

Go Sox!

Al


NBC Sports.com

No comments: