Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Neil McGarry of Bay Colony Shakespeare Company Presents Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" - A Remarkable Achievement

Neil McGarry
Charles Dickens'
"A Christmas Carol"
Bay Colony Shakespeare Company


I am a sucker for everything Dickens - as long as it is done well.  I believe that I have read several times over everything that Dickens wrote in his lifetime, and many volumes that have been written about his life and career.  So, I was intrigued when I learned that Neil  McGarry of Bay Colony Shakespeare Company would be performing Dickens' iconic "A Christmas Carol" as a one man show.  I was not sure what to expect.  What I had not anticipated was being deeply moved by one of the most artistic, creative and energetic performances of the 2014 Boston theater season.

Under the direction of Ross MacDonald and using only minimal props - a steamer trunk, a scarf, a hat - McGarry transmogrifies into all of the characters we have come to know so well.  I felt transported to a progression of worlds that the actor created with his voice, movement and connection with the audience members.  I could almost hear Marley's chains being dragged across the floor of Scrooge's bed chamber.  I could smell the negus at Fezziwig's Christmas party.  I could feel and weep at Tiny Tim's frailty as he uttered the classic line: "God bless us - everyone!"  Even though I knew the outcome, I was hoping against hope that he would live to see another Christmas and not die and "decrease the surplus population."  My heart ached for the young Ebenezer sitting abandoned at his school desk, waiting to be recalled home by his flint-hearted father.  And my heart leaped with Scrooge as he flung open the window to discover that it was Christmas morning and it was not too late to celebrate with his newly transformed heart.

All this and more was created magically by the passion and artistry of Mr. McGarry.  It was an early Christmas gift that I will long remember.

There are a few more opportunities for you to experience that same magic.  Give yourself and some special people in your life a treat and make your way to Plymouth, Cape Cod or Quincy to see "A Christmas Carol," which plays through the 23rd.  Details below.

The Bay Colony Shakespeare Company for the second year, are touring once again their highly praised, IRNE award nominated one man performance of 'A Christmas Carol'. 
http://www.baycolonyshakespeare.org/

December 18th-December 21st:
The Plymouth Center for The Arts. Thur, Fri, Sat - 8pm
Sun - 5pm

December 22nd:
Cape Cod Media Center, 5pm

December 23rd:
First Presbyterian Church, Quincy 8pm

Neil McGarry deftly and brilliantly performs all of the characters in this Victorian masterpiece. 


Bay Colony Shakespeare Website

Enjoy!

Al

No comments: