Thursday, March 10, 2016

"The Not So Starving Artist" by Stephen Cerf - Money Management And Investing For People In The Arts


Let me tell you just how timely is Stephen Cerf's very practical guidance to money matters for artists. I just came from having coffee with a friend of mine who is a young  professional musician. He was sharing with me the struggle to teach himself about the basics of financial matters now that he has transitioned from financial help from his parents to standing on his.own fiscal feet.  I was thrilled to be able to tell him about "The Not So Starving Artist."  After hearing my description of the book, my friend immediately went on line and ordered the Kindle version of this new volume.

Mr. Cerf is a New York-based actor who has worked steadily in National tours of "Spamalot, Jersey Boys, Motown" and others.  In this book, he gives his own personal history and background of learning to manage money matters, beginning with learning basic investing from his father, and beginning to invest in real estate properties with his brothers.  He offers fellow artists a step-by-step guide to understanding budgeting, saving, mortgages, closing costs, the proper use of credit cards, credit scores and many other topics of value to those in the world of the arts and theater.

I have known Mr. Cerf since his student days at Boston Conservatory, and I can tell you that he practices what he preaches in this book.  I am sure that this is not the last time that I will recommend this fine book to someone who needs a quick and comprehensive overview of how to gain control over financial issues as an artist with intermittent earnings.  The artistic community owes Mr. Cerf a debt of gratitude - but he won't charge interest on that debt!

Enjoy!

Al

No comments: